Audit and prepare your property
Prevention is better than the cure, so we recommend that you do all you can to limit sources of contamination.
Examine your property and surroundings to identify the degree to which your rain harvesting system is exposed to risks from vegetation, fine particles and unwelcome intruders. Then limit them.
In particular, we recommend that you:
- Trim or relocate vegetation (esp. overhanging trees)
- Remove leaves and debris from your roof and gutters
- Replace hazardous building materials (esp. lead flashing, asbestos, peeling paint, and toxic, rusting or deteriorating materials )
- Attend to pest control as appropriate
- Determine whether your system has a mild, moderate or severe risk of exposure to potential fine particle contaminants