How to Create a Complete System
DON’T JUST FIT A TANK – INSTALL THE COMPLETE SYSTEM
If you are considering purchasing a rainwater tank, we recommend installing a complete system to improve water quality and reduce tank maintenance. With a little planning, you can design and install a system that will not only give you good quality water, but will reduce your reliance on mains water. Rainwater that is captured and stored correctly is a safe, economical and sustainable source of quality water that can supply your complete requirements.
Rain Harvesting has developed a guide to Rainwater Harvesting and the following diagram shows the components that form a part of a complete system.Rain Harvesting Pty Ltd manufactures many of these components – feel free to contact us with any questions about our range and designing a system for you.
- Check ROOF SURFACE is suitable for collectingquality rainwater.
- Install GUTTER MESH (such as Blue Mountain Mesh®) to prevent leaves and debris from blocking gutters.
- Fit GUTTER OUTLETS from the underside ofthe gutter to prevent obstruction of water flow.
- Fit Leaf Eater® or Leaf Beater® RAIN HEADS to downpipes to prevent blocking. Rain Heads deflect leaves and debris and keep mosquitoes out of pipes that hold water (‘wet’ systems).
- Install FIRST FLUSH DIVERTER/S to help prevent the most contaminated rainwater from entering the tank.
- Ensure a TANK SCREEN is installed at tank entry point to keep mosquitoes and pests out.
- Choose a WATER TANK. Consider annual rainfall, roof catchment area and water usage when determining its size.
- Attach INSECT PROOF SCREENS or FLAP VALVES to the end of all pipes to the tank screen to keep mosquitoes and pests out and ensure the tank is vented properly. Install an AIR GAP to TANK OVERFLOW OUTLETS to prevent stormwater backflow into your tank.
- Utilise a TANK TOP UP system (if required) to automatically top up the tank with mains water when levels fall to a designated minimum level.
- Select a PUMP SYSTEM (if required) to distribute water for use inside or outside the home.
- RAINWATER FILTER. Fit a purpose designed rainwater filter after the pump to help reduce residual sediment, colour and odour.
- WATER LEVEL INDICATOR. Install a Tank Gauge water level indicator to your rainwater tank to monitor your water level and usage.
Download How to Create a Complete System Brochure
Join the free
online rainwater tank
||S Fenner WA
||J Van Der Hoeven QLD
||Fiona Rayns ACT